The gates were constructed by Royal Engineers 18 Division. It was designed by Capt. C.D. Pickersgill. Carvings by Sapper M.N. Mercer, 560 Company RE, and lettering by Sgt R. Ringer 287 Field Company RE.
The gates were erected in December 1942, and remained in-situ until the re-occupation of Singapore 1n 1945. When the graves in POW Cemetery were moved to Kranji War Cemetery, the gates were dismantled and put in storage until 1952. They were then re-erected at the Garrison Church Tanglin Barracks. There they were dedicated by the Chaplain General the Reverend R. Yale, by the Garrison Chaplain the Reverend F.H.W. White, and the Reverend G.M.R. Bennett, who had been a POW himself.
With the run down of the British Forces in Singapore in 1971, the gates were dismantled and taken to the UK, where they were re-erected at Bassingbourn. There they stayed until they were restored and moved to their current location at the Arboretum in November 2003. 39 Engineering Regiment carried out the erection work.Return to Reunions